Most people have problems with the term church! In fact, dictionaries describe the church as a building. But a church from a biblical definition and concept is not a building, but the people of believers who have taken the steps to salvation and have been immersed (baptized) into Christ!
In proper context, a church is a word translated from the Greek word “ekklesia”, meaningthe called out (Col. 1:13). Called from the world of sin; washed & sanctified. 1 Cor. 6:11
I have said that, it is believed that there is no church in the bible and that the Apostles of Christ and Jesus himself did not attend any church. If that is true, then why were they admonished not to forsake the assembly of the saints! Hebrews 10:25
PROPHESIES ABOUT THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE CHURCH
- GOD WILL SET UP A KINGDOM
- God made Israel His nation. But they turned against Him and broke His covenant. Jer. 31:31-38.
- God sent them into bondage at Babylon Jer. 27:1-10
- At Babylon, God showed King Nebuchadnezzar that He would set up a Kingdom. Dan. 2; 1-35, 34-45,
- Medes and Persians took over when King Nebuchadnezzar’s son misbehaved.
Dan. 5:1-6, 13-14, 17, 22-28, 30-31 (cf 2:39)
- Then there were a third (Greece- D8:21) and a fourth. These kingdoms will come before God setup His own. Daniel saw them in his vision. Dan. 7:1-7, Dan. 8:3-8, 8:16-27
- God will establish His kingdom for His son. Dan. 2:44, 7:13-14, 7:16-18
- THE CHURCH FORETOLD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT BY OTHER PROPHETS
A. Daniel called it the Kingdom of God. Daniel 2:44-45, 7:13-18
B. Isaiah and Micah called it the House of God. Isa. 2:2-3, Mic. 4:1-3
- THE CHURCH FORETOLD BY JOHN THE BAPTIST AND PROMISED BY JESUS CHRIST
A. John the Baptist foretold it- Matt. 3:1-2
B. Jesus foretold- Matt. 4:17
C. Jesus the promised to build his church which is the kingdom. Matt. 16:13-19
D. Jesus told the disciples it will come to meet them alive. Mark 9:1
- THE CHURCH (KINGDOM) EXPECTED BY THE DISCIPLES OF JESUS
A. The apostles wanted details about that kingdom. Acts 1:4-8 (Remember Mark 9:1)
- THE CHURCH COMING WITH POWER ON THE FIRST PENTECOST DAY AFTER THE RESURRECTION OF JESUS
A. The Holy Spirit came with power on the first Pentecost Day after the resurrection of Christ and Peter spoke. Acts 2:1-14 (cf. Remember the Keys to Peter, Matt 16:18-19)
B. Peter explained how Jesus has given them power and a Kingdom in Heaven. Acts 2:22-24, 29-33 (Remember Dan. 7:13-14)
C. Peter open the eyes of the people and used the key of the Kingdom to bring the people unto salvation. Acts 2:36-41 (Peter Opened the Door)
- THE CHURCH WAS INDEED ESTABLISHED
A. God added the saved to it hence it existed – Acts 2:47
B. The church scattered after the death of Stephen, what doesn’t exist couldn’t scatter. Acts 1:1, 4, 12.
C. The Jews like Paul persecuted it. Something which doesn’t exist can’t be persecuted
D. Elders were ordained in the congregations hence it existed. Acts 14:23
There is a church in the bible! Thank God you know now!
- THE CHURCH IS THE SAME AS THE HOUSE AND THE KINGDOM OF GOD
A. Jesus hinted the church is the same as the kingdom. Matt. 16:18-19
B. Isaiah said it is the house of God and Paul confirmed it. 1 Tim. 3:14-15 (cf. Isa. 2:2-3)
C. The things done in the church, the same are practiced in the kingdom hence the church and the kingdom are the same;
Church – Acts 8:1,4,12;
Kingdom – John 3:3-5
ii. Lord’s Supper:
Church – 1 Cor. 11:20, 23-25; Acts 2:42
Kingdom – Luke 22:29-30
iii. Called Saints:
Church – 1 Cor. 1:1-2;
Kingdom – Col. 1:12-13
Church – 1 Pet. 4:17-18
Kingdom – Matt. 25:31-34 (who are the sheep? The church! Acts 20:28); 1 Cor. 15:24
v. Called Kings and Priests:
Church – Royal Priesthood – Rev. 5:9-10, 1 Pet. 2:9-10 (Col. 1:12-13)
Kingdom – Holy Nation – Rev. 5:9-10, 1 Pet. 2:9-10
- THAT CHURCH WHICH IS THE KINGDOM OF GOD IS THE ONLY ONE THAT SAVES
A. The church is ONE! God told Daniel He will set up a Kingdom not kingdoms (Dan. 2:44), Jesus said He will build His Church not churches (Matt. 16:18).
B. The church is the body of Christ and it is one. Eph. 1:22-23, 4:4-5, Col. 1:18
C. The church is the wife of Christ and it saves. Eph. 5:23-25, 2 Cor. 11:1-4,
D. The church is the saved and the saving institution. Eph. 3:10, Matt. 28:18-20
E. The Judgment of God will start in the church which is the House of God. 1 Pet. 4:17-18
F. Jesus will hand over the church which is the kingdom to His Father on the last day! 1 Cor. 15:24
God has His church and will come to save those in it! Believe this truth and obey by following the steps to salvation! He who has ears list him Listen! For the Tree of Life is found in the church Jesus built!
Rev. 22:14-17! THE CHURCH SAVES!
God bless you for your attention
Written By: Bro. Shadrack Oppong (Minister) Nsawam Road church of Christ, Accra, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Contact: +233207172430