The Bible indicates how the church in the New Testament era worshipped. Acts 2:42-44, 47.
Therefore, to identify the one true Church of Christ, you must lookout for the following worship activities as taught and practiced by the Apostles and the early Christians.
Anything short of these or contrary to the following worship activities signals a red flag. As Christians we are commanded to following the teachings and practices of the Apostles and not the worship activities of Moses, David, or Man-made teachings.
1. APOSTLES TEACHINGS OR DOCTRINES
The early church continued in teachings of the Apostles Acts 2:42
- Because Jesus commanded so Matt. 28:20
- They taught from the scriptures because that was from God 2 Tim. 3:16-17
- We are not to go beyond 2 John 9
- Do not think beyond the Bible 1 Cor. 4:6
- But uphold the traditions they have received. 2 Thess. 2:15
Eg; Men are to lead in teaching, preaching, and praying. 1 Tim. 2:11-14, 1 Cor. 14:34-38
Praying was one of the key practices of the church in the bible. The Apostles admonished:
- That the True Church prays without ceasing 1 Thess.5:17,25
- We pray for ourselves and for one another Eph. 6:18-19; James 5:16
- So there is NO special prayer warrior!
How did they pray?
- Not hypocritically for attention – Matt. 6:5-8 (cf. Jonah 2:1-2)
- Publicly, men must lead 1 Tim. 2:8
- Not individual mass prayer as a confused people but men were to lead for others to listen and respond Amen 1 Cor. 14:16
- We dont pray to curse Luke 6:27-28, (cf. Matt. 5:43-48, Rom. 12:14,17,19-21)
- We pray through Jesus 1 Tim. 2:1-7; Rom. 1:8; Phil. 4:5-7
The one true church had a way of collecting money. The True Church in the Bible practice
- Free will giving 2 Cor. 9:6-7
- The measure of what you want to give is not by compulsion Luke 6:38
- The Christian giving is done on the first day of the week 1 Cor. 16:1-2
- The church never practiced Tithing or compulsory levies.
- Note that for tithe collections, Aarons descendant must be there. Neh. 10:38
4. COMMUNION (Lord’s Supper)
This is where the True Church in the Bible breaks bread to remember the Lord who is the savior.
- It is a sign of the New Covenant in the blood of Jesus Matt. 26:26-29
- Just like the Tree of Life was for Adam, Rainbow for Noah, Circumcision for Abraham and Sabbath for Israel
- Jesus promised to do that in the kingdom/ church Luke 22:29-30
- Jesus instituted it in Christianity to be used to remember Him 1 Cor. 11:23-26
- So the early Christians and the True Church did it every first day of the week to remember Jesus Acts 20:7
- Man-Made Christmas
Today those who are not in the one True Church have chosen to celebrate the birthday of Jesus CHRISTMAS and Easter, than what He has commanded Luke 22:19-20
5. SINGING (Songs in the Church)
Christians are to sing. The church in the bible sang without musical instruments.
- We are given a commandment to sing: Eph. 5:19; Col. 3:16
- NB: The Greek word used here is “Psallo” which means to use the vocal cords to produce a melody in song. Acapella!
- What about Psalm 150? Let read Psl. 150:1-6
- We notice the usage of instruments in the old covenant. (Ps. 150, Amos. 5:23). But we are ministers of the new covenant. (2 Cor. 3:4-6)
- Yes David commanded that in Israel and God approved of it 2 Chron. 29:25-28
- But later God said He does not like it again Amos 6:5 (They did that by inventing it themselves)
- However in Christianity, we do not obey David or the prophets but the Son of God Heb. 1:1-2
- God approved of Jesus and commanded us to hear Him Matt. 17:1-6
- Grace and Truth come from Jesus and His word will judge all- John 1:17; 12:44-48
David finished his job as God commanded him. But our job is different from his so don’t try to copy David Acts 13:34-39 (Amos 6:5).
Note, any church that adds to or teaches and practices anything contrary to the above worship activities cannot be the one true Church of Christ in the Bible.
Written By: Bro. Shadrack Oppong (Minister) Nsawam Road church of Christ, Accra
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Contact: +233207172430